The Dramatis Personæ is the roster of conjurers and sentient magical creatures staying in the many rooms, grottos, and byways of Lita’s castle. Here is an entry in the guest book for the Clockpunk Wizard Wing.
Furgo [fər ɡō] proper noun, c.1400; Sanskrit pāti < Greek pōma < Old High Gr fuotar < Gr fuerre < An-Fr furrer < ME furren; c.900; Gr gehen < Old High Gr gēn < OE gān < ME gon; also Furgo-boy, Furgo-dog
- Profession: Animal familiar for Wizard Kadmeion and Assistant Bright
- Race: Sentient Magical Creature Cynanthrope (dog/human shapeshifter), male, 9-16 years old for human form, middle age for dog form, and an intermediate combination form
- Appearance: brown eyes, black/brown hair, slender build
- Full Name: Furgo
- Formal Title: Wizard Familiar
- Honorifics: Sir Wizard Familiar
- Education: No formal schooling; human intellectual abilities acquired through magical binding to a wizard
- Milieu: Furgo is a denizen of the Clockpunk Wizard world
Furgo is a rare dog-to-human shapeshifter rescued by Wizard Kadmeion during a mandrake root extraction on Holcomb Island. Furgo’s default form is a small black dog. He has a rarely used intermediate form of a brownie-sized fur-covered human.
Furgo can alter the apparent age of his human appearance, presenting a handsome lad of nine to sixteen years old. Because Furgo has an unusual situation with his human soul, he cannot age beyond his teenager years. This is another rare magical state called “Forever Boy.”
The cynanthrope’s caretakers sometimes use the names “Furgo-boy” or “Furgo-dog” to summon Furgo’s requested form. Kadmeion enchanted the cynanthrope to remember a silly spell that empowers Furgo to switch forms at will. The cynanthrope willingly wears a wizard’s medallion to display his Familiar role, and to focus his benefactor’s magic.
While in human form, Furgo retains his dominant dog traits, namely loyalty, protectiveness, and happy nature. When in his dog form, Furgo retains some of his human intellect. In all his forms, Furgo’s most remarkable trait is his adorable puppy-dog eyes.
Find out more about Furgo’s many adventures as Wizard Kadmeion’s familiar in the Clockpunk Wizard stories: